Orlando SEO Company
Google has announced a new system update that aims to improve the quality and relevance of its search results by rewarding sites that create helpful content for users. The update, which started rolling out on September 14, 2023, is called the Helpful Content System Update and is part of Google’s ongoing efforts to provide the best possible answers to users’ queries.
What is the Helpful Content System Update?
The Helpful Content System Update is a system-wide change that affects how Google evaluates and ranks web pages based on their content quality and usefulness. According to Google, the update is designed to “better align our systems with the expectations and needs of our users” and to “encourage site owners to focus on creating content that is helpful, informative, and authoritative for their audience”.
The update is not a penalty or a filter, but rather a change in how Google’s algorithms assess and reward content quality. Google says that the update does not target any specific topics, niches, or types of sites, but rather applies to all web pages across the web. However, some sites may see significant changes in their rankings and traffic as a result of the update, depending on how well their content matches Google’s criteria for helpfulness.
How does Google measure helpfulness?
Google does not provide a clear definition or a checklist of what constitutes helpful content, but rather relies on a variety of signals and factors to determine how well a web page meets the needs and expectations of its users. Some of these factors include :
● The intent of the user’s query and how well the content matches it. Google tries to understand what the user is looking for and provides the most relevant and satisfying answer. For example, if a user searches for “how to lose weight”, Google will favor content that provides practical and realistic advice on diet and exercise, rather than content that only promotes a product or a service that claims to help with weight loss.
● The quality of the content and how well it covers the topic. Google evaluates the content based on its accuracy, comprehensiveness, depth, originality, and freshness. For example, if a user searches for “best places to visit in Europe”, Google will favor content that provides detailed and relevant information, such as the attractions, the culture, the weather, and the costs, rather than content that only provides generic or outdated information.
● The authority of the content and how well it demonstrates expertise, trustworthiness, and reputation. Google considers the credentials, qualifications, and reputation of the content creator, as well as the quality and quantity of the sources, citations, and references used in the content. For example, if a user searches for “how to play guitar”, Google will favor content that is written by a professional musician, rather than content that is written by a hobbyist or a beginner.
The user experience of the content and how well it engages and satisfies the user. Google measures the user experience based on various signals, such as the loading speed, the readability, the layout, the design, the navigation, and the accessibility of the content. For example, if a user searches for “how to learn a new language”, Google will favor content that is interactive, engaging, and fun, rather than content that is static, boring, or tedious.
How to optimize your site for the Helpful Content System Update?
Google wants you to create helpful, informative, and authoritative content for your audience. To do that, you should:
· Know your audience and their needs. Solve their problems and meet their goals.
· Provide clear and accurate information. Use credible sources, citations, and references. Avoid false, misleading, or exaggerated content.
· Cover the topic comprehensively and in-depth. Provide complete and thorough information. Provide relevant details, examples, and explanations. Avoid superficial, vague, or incomplete information.
· Showcase your expertise and authority. Demonstrate your knowledge, skills, and experience. Provide your credentials, qualifications, and reputation. Avoid claims or statements that are beyond your scope or expertise.
· Engage and satisfy your audience. Make your content interesting, entertaining, and appealing. Use clear and concise language, attractive and relevant images, and engaging and interactive elements. Avoid boring, dull, or irrelevant content.
· Optimize your site for user experience. Make your site fast, responsive, and easy to use. Use a clean and simple layout, a consistent and intuitive design, and clear and logical navigation. Avoid slow, unresponsive, or hard-to-use site.
Site owners should also monitor their site’s performance and rankings regularly and carefully to detect any changes or fluctuations caused by the update.
Orlando SEO Agency
At M5 Design Studio, we live and breathe SEO and stay on top of every Google update. Our team can perform a comprehensive audit identifying any content gaps or issues holding your site back from ranking well. We’ll then optimize your on-page content, site speed, technical elements, and more to align with Google’s quality standards.
Ongoing monitoring and adaptation are crucial when algorithm updates roll out. Let us handle that for you, so you can focus on running your business. Our experts will track your site’s performance and make recommendations to address any impacts from Google updates quickly.
Don’t leave your search visibility to chance. Reach out through our contact form or give us a call at 407-968-6296 to discuss how M5 Design Studio can optimize your website to provide the helpful content users want in order to rank highly in Google search.