Orlando SEO Agency
Last week Google announced a new look for google search results. Previously ads had a distinct look that made them drastically stand out against organic search results. Now that is not so much the case, ads are not as easily distinguished from organic results. In this update, Google said goodbye to the distinctive green color of their ads. Now, the only factor distinguishing ads from other results is the black word “Ad” in bold text. This update could potentially mean that people will be more likely to miss that they are clicking on an ads and not in organic results.
Image credit: Google
In addition, before this update, the website’s favicon did not appear on the google search result page. Now the website’s favicon appears on google search results. Site owners can choose what icon to show with their results. Moving forward, site owners may want to spend more time polishing their favicon since they will now be visible in search results. Both of these updates are currently only rolling out in mobile.
How to show your website’s favicon in Google search results
Favicon Implementation Steps
- Ensure that your favicon is in accordance with the guidelines below.
- Add a <link> tag to the header of your home page with the following syntax:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">
- Updating your favicon can be done by requesting indexing of your site’s homepage.
Google’s Favicon Guidelines
To be eligible for your favicon to appear with search results, the following Google guidelines must be met:
- The favicon file and homepage cannot be blocked to google.
- The favicon must visually represent the brand of the website.
- The favicon should be a multiple of 48px square. Google will automatically scale your image to 16x16px.
- The favicon URL should be fixed and not frequently changed.
- The favicon must be appropriate.
To learn more about Google’s favicon implementation steps and guidelines, please visit their official documentation.
Orlando SEO Services
Are you looking to implement your company’s favicon in Google’s search results? We are an Orlando web design company specialized in helping businesses improve their websites & Google search positoning. As Orlando SEO experts, we can help you. Please contact us for a free quote.